Hand in Land – “Reserve for future”
Kundapur is a town situated near the beach on the west coast of Karnataka state, and is very close to the Western Ghats (a mountain ridge). The Western Ghats is India’s prime zone for bio-diversity and known for its animal and plant species in this region. FSL-India has been involved in developing projects for many years in this region and has now formed a very strong network of local partners and local volunteers. Invariably this is one of the prime locations for FSL-India to initiate development interventions in partnership with the local NGOs and civil society organisations.
The focus of the camp is providing field based learning knowledge on sustainable agriculture, Yoga and the impacts, Practicing Yoga and introduce creative learning methods in schools. FSL India will directly implement with the network of Farmers club, Women groups and school management around 20 satellite villages in and around the FSL India training center.
Ayurveda is a 5000 year old Indian health care system that is widely practiced even today. “Ayur” in Sanskrit means “life” and “Veda” mean “science”. It is a perfect Science of health and longevity. This holistic science is the knowledge of complete balance of the Body, Mind and Spirit, including the emotions and psychology, on all levels.
Dates of the project
from 2nd to 15th January
from 6th to 19th March
from 15th to 18th June
from 2nd to 15th October
from 6th to 19th November
from 4th to 17th December
from 10th to 13th July
from 14th to 27th August
from 11th to 24th September
(2 weeks, participation fee 215 euro)
• Baseline Survey and Mapping
• Soil and water conservation, Live hedge fencing, Fruit and forestry plantation
• Crop cultivation, Composting, Kitchen garden, Medicinal plants cultivation, Nursery management.
• Maintenance and management – After care, Basin making, watering, pruning, protection etc.
• Post-harvest practices – Threshing, cleaning
• Documentation of traditional cultivation practices
• Learn the basics of Yoga and practice everyday
• Teach basic English in school, introduce creative learning through art, music, games etc.
• Promote Health and Hygiene Awareness
• Promote Eco friendly practices
• Sessions to understand the science of Ayurveda
• Nature walk to learn about plants and its medicinal values
• Learn how to make home made remedies
Visit to cultural and religious sites, family visit as part of inter-cultural learning and participate in the cultural programs with local community.
Kundapur is located at 440 north west of Bangalore in the Arabian sea and 91 north of Mangalore
Nearest international Airport-Bangalore and Mangalore The nearest railway station- Kundapur
Bus services available from – Bangalore, Mangalore, Goa The exact meeting point will be mentioned in the info sheet
In the FSL-India Training Center with shared rooms