Organization: GREAT Indonesia
Dates of the project: July 18th – 31st
Location: Borobudur Village, Magelang Region, Central Java Indonesia.
Language: English should be spoken among participants. Bahasa Indonesia should be spoken with local people. Bahasa Indonesia is super easy language for foreigners. No tenses to study only simple structure. Try to learn online before your departure. Totally worth it.
Accommodation: Host family, sleeping bag and mattress needed, self cooking
Fee: IDR 2,800,000
Meeting Point: Adi Sucipto Airport/ Jogja International Airport at arrival hall based on the workcamp dates chosen at first day at the latest 12.00 midday. Contact Program Manager (Mr) Ben Pramudya at +62 813 1803 6960; Contact Incoming Staff (Mr) Yayat at +62 812 2928 667
Airport: Adisutjipto – Yogyakarta (JOG) International Airport
In cooperation with local students club concerning Borobudur conservation name the Young Guardian Club (YGC) Borobudur, this year will be the second year of GREAT and Borobudur Conservation Office to organize international workcamp there. August is the month of YGC Training to recruit new members and elect new committee. Therefore, this workcamp will succeed the YGC Training as well. The project is in partnership with local schools. Previous workcamp can be viewed here.
GREAT is taking part in the effort of protection, promotion and conservation of the heritage sites in Indonesia. One of them is Borobudur Compound. Borobudur is listed in the World heritage List UNESCO since 1991 (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/592). The main and still issue of Borobudur conservation is the mass tourism. At least three millions of domestic and international visitors step on the temple every year, this brings at least 150 million kg only from the weighs of tourists. The facts that the visitors step on the temple wearing different surface of shoes cause erosion to the stones. And the weather brings the unsheltered stones of the temple in higher risk of erosion. Therefore, it is important to organize sustainable action to raise the awareness of the visitors. At the same time, the involvement of local community into conservation activities for the temple has been a strong concern.
The aims of the camp are
- To give opportunity for international volunteers to learn more Borobudur temple compound and its conservation efforts.
- Using the experience of learning Borobudur, the camp is aimed to promote cultural conservation for local studentsthrough Young Guardian Club Borobudur.
- To organize YGC Borobudur training batch 9.
- To support the program planning of YGC Borobudur batch 9 period 2017 – 2018
- Participate in learning session on Borobudur conservation works: in the laboratory and in the field by cleaning the temple
- Designing and implementing School visit to local high schools: in the topic of conservation for young people. Consult to UNESCO KIT: World Heritage in Young Hands.
- Designing workshop/training for young guardian club of Borobudur batch 9 in the topic of conservation for young people. Again, consult to UNESCO KIT: World Heritage in Young Hands.
- Facilitate the program planning of YGC Borobudur batch 9
Special remarks: be ready for, many ideas for games, competition and cultural exchange. Please prepare your creative presentation about world heritage conservation for young people from at least 1 of world heritage sites in your country. So enthusiastic yet shy local students, very broad visitors with different understanding about preserving world heritage, be patient and have big big smiles!!!