ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT AND CONSERVATION PROGRAM
Hifadhi Environmental organization, a Community based organization formed in 2008, registered by the department of social services and development. Hifadhi deals in various issues that Touches on day to day life of the local communities and run programs such as environment education involving: capacity building and training, research and monitoring, landscape rehabilitation, Eco-Tourism, School Outreaches and Home Based care projects within its mandate.
The Presidio Education Intern will support and contribute to the education initiatives of the Presidio Heritage Program. The intern will be expected to lead multi-disciplinary education programs including but not limited to school field trips, after-school programs, summer camps, and family programs & events for youth (ages ranging from pre-K through high school) serving adult audiences occasionally. The intern will also assist the education staff in developing and implementing place-based education materials and programming that will connect urban youth of all ages with the nature and history that abounds in the park. This internship is a career development opportunity designed to give recent graduates a venue for improving skills in informal place-based education, curriculum development, program evaluation, partnership building, community engagement, and public interpretation of the Presidio’s natural and historic sites.
Environmental Education Focus: While our education programs and trainings integrate environmental education with historical literacy and social-science, the content areas of this internship will focus primarily on eco-literacy, sustainability, citizen science, service learning, and urban ecology. The audiences served will be reflective of the SF urban demographic, ethnically diverse, and will include families, in addition to the range of kindergarten to middle school students. Lead weekly field trips during the school calendar year.
Duration of the project: The program will run for a minimum of 1 month and a maximum of 6 months. The program is running throughout the year.
Orientation: Orientation meeting will take place in Nairobi before proceeding to the project.
Accommodation: At a host family. Please note that you will share the typical living conditions of a Kenyan family. There will be electricity, but no shower and pipe water/taps at the accommodation. Volunteers will be using buckets for bathing. Water will be boiled for drinking purposes and those who prefer can buy bottled water.
Location: Kisumu is located in the west part of Kenya, approximately 6 hours drive from Nairobi. Transport to the project will be by public transport. The closest Market is 5 minutes walk; Post Office, Banks (ATMs), Internet and other social facilities are located in Kisumu City.
Age range: 18 and over
Participation fee: 600 Euros for 3 months
Leisure time: vist impala park, lake Victoria,dunga beach,lwang’ini,boat ride, hippo point.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate weekend drop-in family programs
- Provide outreach and key support for environmental and outdoor education programs
- Assist education staff in the development and implementation of new educational programs including field trips, camps, after-school programs, teacher workshops, volunteer programs, and public programs
- Assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of educational materials
- Assist in the tracking and evaluation of current educational programs and practices
- Provide administrative support to education team
- Participate in Presidio Trust and partner sponsored community events and programs
- Positive and flexible attitude
- Experience or strong interest in environmental education and outdoor learning experiences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Enjoy working with a diverse community of people of all ages
- Experience working with youth
- Professional demeanor and ability to work well with others including staff, interns, partnering organizations, and general public
- Computer experience in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Desire to work both outdoors (including inclement weather) and indoors