COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT SELF HELP GROUP
- Project Name: Community Development Self Help Group
- Project Location: Busia County of Kenya
- Orientation date: 28th November 2017 from 10:00 am
- Start and End dates: 29th November – 15th December 2017
- Safari dates: 25th November – 27th November 2017
- Theme: Supporting local community development
- of Volunteers: 5 – 12
The German foundation for world population trained some community health members, VCT Counselors, mobilizing forces in the community, home-based caregivers and educators among others on HIV/AIDS prevention through a community-based organization. During the project period, while the trained members were visiting the community, they realized that there was a big health problem in the community. Apart from HIV/AIDS as the main problem, there were more health issues such as an increased number of orphans/vulnerable children and jiggers menace because of parents’ death from HIV/AIDS. Most orphans whose parents had died from HIV/AIDS were infected by jiggers, this was a result of poor guardian care. In general, these children lacked basic needs such as health care, shelter, education and clothing among others.
Having realized that there were all of these problems within the community, a few trained local volunteers from Butula decided 2014 to establish a group, which could address the above mentioned health issues. The group was then referred to as Community Development Self-Help Group (CDG), operating within Butula Sub County with its main office at Shibale Market within Marachi central Ward, focusing on Health and community development.
- Making bricks
- Repairing houses of elderly people
- Establishing of tree nursery
ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT
We will pick up all volunteers taking part in this workcamp from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. CIVS will arrange accommodation before and after the workcamp in a host family in the Buruburu area of Nairobi.
ACCOMMODATION AND SITES OF INTEREST
Accommodation will be at the project in this workcamp and it is important that you have your own sleeping bag and mat. During the workcamp, volunteers will get food from locally available foodstuffs and the volunteers will share the responsibility of preparing the food.
In this workcamp, volunteers can visit Lake Victoria at Kisumu City and the Kakamega Rainforest, which are about 1 hour and 2-hours drive respectively from the project.
Volunteers participating in this project will be required to pay 265 Euros. This cost will include:
- Airport pick up upon arrival & Airport drop off after the workcamp
- Up to 3 nights’ accommodation in Nairobi
- Introduction to Kenyan life through a Nairobi City Center Tour before the workcamp
- Workcamp Orientation at the CIVS office in Nairobi or the workcamp site
- Food (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Workcamp facilitation and mentoring of volunteers by an experienced workcamp leader
- Certificate of participation for the volunteer
- All administrative costs
CIVS organizes safaris to all the spectacular National Parks and touristic sites in Kenya, with the main attraction being Masai Mara Game Reserve. Volunteers who wish to go on a safari should apply at least two weeks before arrival to enable us to make proper arrangements. The fee charged is all-inclusive of meals, transport, park entry, accommodation and tour guiding.
Safari dates: 25th November – 27th November 2017
Charges: 3-day Safari to Masai Mara National Park, 330 Euro
WHAT TO CARRY
Volunteers are required to carry the following items for the workcamp: mosquito net, torch/flashlight, toiletries, first-aid kit, sleeping bag, sandals and sunscreen. In addition to those, volunteers can also carry the following items for interaction purposes: pictures of your country, clothes, toys, books, pens, etc.